top of page

FAQ for Title 24 Compliance

If you are a homeowner, architect or building contractor, and you are not sure if your project is subject to the California Energy Code (1) or what documents are required with the permit application, here are some common questions and answers on Title 24 energy compliance.

When is it required to comply with Title 24 Energy?

   The Title 24 Energy Code applies to building projects which will involve any of the elements that affect the energy efficiency of the construction, like the envelope, the HVAC, water-heating, and lighting systems.
   Examples of projects subject to compliance: New building constructions, additions, most remodels, and HVAC or water-heater replacements.

How to comply with Title 24 Energy?

   The Title 24 Energy compliance process goes along with the building permit cycle, it is a jointly effort by the home owner, the architect, the energy analyst and building contractors. It starts at the design phase, at his point, all the required compliance documents are produced. And, it finishes with the final inspections prior to the issuance of the certificate of occupancy.
   The Certificate of Compliance (CF1R) is usually required to show compliance at the time of permit application. This document is commonly elaborated by an energy analyst and approved by the design team and the home owner.

What is an All-Electric building?

   It is a building or building design that uses a permanent supply of electricity as the source of energy for space heating, water heating, cooking appliances, and clothes drying appliances, and has no natural gas or propane plumbing installed in the building. (2)
   This is not a mandatory option in the 2022 Energy Code, but for some cities, it is the preferred one.

Are Heat Pump Water Heaters mandatory for new single-family buildings?

   No, Heat Pump Water Heaters are not a mandatory measure. But, for new single-family constructions, they are a good compliance option. Another alternative is a solar water-heating system with electric backup.
   In Climate Zones 3, 4, 13 and 14, single-family buildings may use gas or propane tankless W/H if the HVAC is a heat pump.
   New dwelling units, like ADUs, with ≤ 500 ft2 conditioned floor area (CFA), and with point-of-use piping distribution may use an instantaneous electric water heater.
   Gas tankless water-heater comply for single-family additions, garage conversions, and for different types of multi-family projects.

What is Energy Storage Systems Ready (Battery Ready)?

  Energy Storage Systems (ESS) ready, or battery ready, is a mandatory requirement for new single-family homes, which includes interconnection equipment or a dedicated raceway, a minimum of four branch circuits, a minimum busbar rating of 225 amps, and space for future installation of system isolation equipment or a transfer switch. For additional details, download the following document:

Do Remodels need to comply with Title 24 Energy?

   Most remodels trigger Title 24 Energy compliance. Depending on the extent of the project, compliance can be demonstrated with a simple prescriptive form or with a software calculated efficiency report.
   These are some remodel examples that require to comply with the Energy Code: Windows and/or doors replacements, HVAC and/or water-heater changes, and Kitchen and/or lighting alterations.

Do JADUs have exceptions for compliance?

   Yes. JADUs can share the HVAC and water-heater with the main house. Additionally, they are not required to meet the whole-dwelling unit ventilation requirements.

What are single-family Lighting compliance requirements?

   For single-family buildings, all lighting requirements are mandatory, and they only apply to permanently installed luminaires. The compliance implies the use of high efficiency luminaires and the implementation of lighting controls (dimming and automatic-off).
   A good way to show compliance is by means of a Lighting plan, which describes the luminaire main specifications and the required controls by spaces.

(1): Energy Code is the 2022 Building energy efficiency standards for residential and nonresidential buildings.
(2): Santa Monica 2019 - Signed ordinance O-2617

Our professional service is aim to get your project into Title 24 compliance along all the process

bottom of page